R&D Software Engineer
Centre for Intelligent Agents and Multi-Agent Systems
Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies
Swinburne University of Technology
John St, Hawthorn, VIC 3122
Phone: +61 3 9214 8721
Office: EN 505b
Email: 32semogre (inverted) at gmail.com
Eduardo is currently a R&D Software Engineer at the School of Information Technology
, Swinburne University of Technology
(Melbourne, Australia), where he is a member of the Intelligent Agent Technology
(IAT) research group. He received his PhD from Swinburne University
in December 2009, his MSc in Computer Science from the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul
, in June 2005 and his BSc in Computer Science from the Federal University of Pelotas
(Computer Science Department
, in May 2003.
- Agents and Multi-Agent Systems
- Multi-Agent Learning
- Market-based Resource Allocation
- Agent-Based Learning Environments
- Grid and Cloud Computing
- Smart Grids
My PhD research focuses on the application of Machine Learning in Market-based Resource Allocation mechanisms. More specifically, I am investigating the impacts of strategic learning participants in the individual and social performance of allocation mechanisms based on equilibrium markets. While most of the research on equilibrium markets assumes the existence of a perfect competition environment, in which no participant has the capacity to influence the price, such a condition is hardly satisfied in real economies, opening opportunities for exploitation from strategic participants. The thesis investigates the impacts of these participants and proposes a framework to optimise both the individual and the social gains of equilibrium-based mechanisms composed of them. The strategic behaviour of the participants is realised through the application of Multiagent Reinforcement Learning.
Within the scope of my Ph.D. thesis, I am particularly interested in understanding the relationships between the presence of selfish and altruistic learning agents in the overall performance of multiagent systems. My experimental results on equilibrium-based mechanisms show that a market composed exclusively of selfish learning agents can achieve social performance similar to the performance obtained by a market composed exclusively of altruistic learning agents, both achieving near-optimal social welfare measured by the Nash Product function. Understanding the reasons for this result is an important aspect of my research.
Also within the scope of my thesis, and closely related to the research topic cited above, I am very interested in understanding the dynamic process underlying multiagent reinforcement learning algorithms, in particular Multiagent Q-learning with ε-greedy Exploration. Despite the popularity of this algorithm, its dynamics is not yet well-understood. I believe the behaviour found in multiagent learning systems can be mostly explained by the analysis of the expected dynamics of the learning algorithms employed.
In the past, I have worked with Intelligent Tutoring Systems. More specifically, I have investigated the application of Artificial Intelligence techniques to improve the quality of the learning experiences provided by computer-based educational systems through adaptation of both content and teaching style to the characteristics of students. There are still many problems to be solved in the area and I would like to further explore it in the future.
Book Chapters (peer-reviewed)
- Gomes, E. R. and Kowalczyk, R. The dynamics of multiagent Q-learning in commodity-market resource allocation. In Recent Advances in Machine Learning: Dedicated to the memory of Ryszard S. Michalski, Studies in Computational Intelligence, page 315-349. Springer, Heidelberg, Germany.
- Silveira, R. A.; Gomes, E. R. & Vicari, R. M. Tatnall, A. (ed.) Using Intelligent Learning Objects in Adaptive Educational Portals. In: Encyclopedia of Portal Technologies and Applications. Hershey, USA : Idea Inc, 2007, v. 2, p. 1074-1078
- SILVEIRA, R. A. ; GOMES, Eduardo Rodrigues ; VICARI, Rosa Maria . Intelligent Learning Objects: An Agent-Based Approach of Learning Objects. In: Tom J. van Weert; Arthur Tatnall. (Org.). Information and Communication Technologies and Real-Life Learning : New Education for the Knowledge Society. Boston : Berlin, 2005, v. , p. 103-110.
- Eduardo Rodrigues Gomes, Bao Quoc Vo and Ryszard Kowalczyk. Pure Exchange Markets for Resource Sharing in Federated Clouds. In: Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience. Accepted for publication on 16th July 2010. [ PDF Abstract [+] BibTex [+] ]
- Eduardo Rodrigues Gomes and Ryszard Kowalczyk. Learning the IPA Market with Individual and Social Rewards. In: Web Intelligence and Agent Systems: An International Journal (WIAS). 2009, v. 7(2), pages 123–138.
- Gomes, E. R.; Silveira, R. A. & Vicari, R. M. The Intelligent Learning Objects Idea: an agent-based approach for learning objects . Revista Tecnologia da Informação, Editora Universa, Brasilia, DF, Brazil, 2004, v. 4, pages 47-55.
- Boff, E.; Gomes, E. R. & Vicari, R. M. Using Social Agents to Improve the Intelligent Learning Environments' Dynamics. Revista Tecnologia da Informação, Editora Universa: Brasília, DF, Brazil, 2004, v. 4, pages 77-84.
- Eduardo Rodrigues Gomes and Ryszard Kowalczyk. The Dynamics of Multiagent Q-learning with e-greedy Exploration. In: Proceedings of the 2009 International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (AAMAS’09), May 10-15, 2009, Budapest, Hungary (accepted on 20/12/08) [Abstract [+] BibTex [+] ]
- Eduardo Rodrigues Gomes and Ryszard Kowalczyk. Individual and Social Behaviour in the IPA Market with RL. In: Proceedings of the 19th Brazilian Symposium on Artificial Intelligence, pages To appear. Springer, 2008 (acceptance rate 20%). [Abstract [+] BibTex [+] ]
- Eduardo Rodrigues Gomes and Ryszard Kowalczyk. Learning in Market-based Resource Allocation. In Proceedings of the 6th IEEE/ACIS International Conference on Computer and Information Science (ICIS 2007), pages 475-482. IEEE Computer Society, 2007. [ PDF Abstract [+] BibTex [+] ]
- Wu, B.; Zhang, J. Y.; Chhetri, M.; Lin, J.; Goh, S.; Nguyen, X.; Mueller, I.; Gomes, E. R.; Zheng, L.; Han, J. & Kowalczyk, R. Leymann, F. & Zhang, L. (L. (ed.) Adaptive Service Agreement and Process Management Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Web Services (ICWS 2006), IEEE Computer Society, 2006, 927-930 [ Abstract [+] BibTex [+] ]
- SILVEIRA, R. A.; GOMES, Eduardo Rodrigues; VICARI, Rosa. Intelligent Learning Objects: An Agent Aproach to Create Reusable Intelligent Learning Environments With Learning Objects. In: X Ibero-American Artificial Intelligence Conference / XVIII Brazilian Artificial Intelligence Symposium, 2006, Ribeirão Preto. IBERAMIA-SBIA 2006. Berlin : springer verlag, 2006. v. 4140. p. 17-26 (acceptance rate 25%). [ Abstract [+] BibTex [+] ]
- SILVEIRA, R. A.; GOMES, Eduardo Rodrigues; VICARI, Rosa. Intelligent Learning Objects: An Agent Approach to Create Interoperable Learning Objects. In: IFIP World Computer Conference - WCC, 2006, Santiago. Education for the 21st Century: Impact of ICT and Digital Resources. Berlin : Springer, 2006. p. 411-416. [ Abstract [+] BibTex [+] ]
- SILVEIRA, R. A.; GOMES, Eduardo Rodrigues; VICARI, Rosa Maria . Intelligent Learning Objects: An Agent-Based Aproach of Learning Objects. In: IFIP WG 3.2 & 3.4 Working Conference:Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and Real-life Learning, 2004, Melbourne, 2004.
- SILVEIRA, Ricardo Azambuja ; GOMES, Eduardo R. ; VICARI, Rosa Maria ; PINTO, Vinicius. Intelligent Learning Objects: an agent based approach of Learning Objects. In: International Conference on Intelligent Tutoring Systems, 2004, Maceio, 2004. (Poster)
- SILVEIRA, R. A. ; GOMES, Eduardo Rodrigues ; VICARI, Rosa Maria. Modelagem de ambientes de aprendizagem baseado na utilização de agentes FIPA. In: Simpósio Brasileiro de Informática na Educação, 2003, Rio de Janeiro. Anais. Rio de Janeiro : Sociedade Brasileia de Computação, 2003. p. 503-512. (in Portuguese)
- GOMES, Eduardo R. ; BOFF, Elisa ; VICARI, Rosa Maria. A Tutor Colleagues Recommendation System using Social, Affective and Pedagogical Agents. In: Workshop on Social and Emotional Intelligence in Learning Environments, 7th International Conference on Intelligent Tutoring Systems (ITS 2004), Maceió, Brazil, 2004. [Abstract [+] BibTex [+] ]
- SILVEIRA, R. A. ; GOMES, Eduardo Rodrigues ; PINTO, Vinicius Heidrich ; VICARI, Rosa Maria. Thinking in Agents and Learning Objects: The Intelligent Learning Object approach. In: Workshop on Distance Learning Environments for Digital Graphic representation, 7th International Conference on Intelligent Tutoring Systems (ITS 2004), Maceió, Brazil, 2004.
- Editorial Board Member for the Multiagent and Grid Systems, an International Journal, IOS Press, 2010 - Present
- PC Member for the 13th International Conference on Principles and Practice of Multi-Agent Systems, Kolkata, India, November 2010
- Journal paper reviewer for The Journal of Machine Learning Research, February 2010
- Journal paper reviewer for the Multiagent and Grid Systems, an International Journal, IOS Press, December 2009
- Invited Sessions Organizer for the 21th International Conference on Industrial, Engineering & Other Applications of Applied Intelligent Systems (IEA/AIE'08), 16-18 June 2008, Wroclaw, Poland
- Conference paper reviewer for the 11th International Workshop on Cooperative Information Agents, Delft, The Netherlands, 19-21 September 2007
- Conference paper reviewer for the 19th Australian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Hobart, Australia, 4-8 December 2006
Awards and Scholarships