Dr. rer. nat.
This web page is not longer maintained, for up-to-date information please visit my new home page at the University of Kaiserslautern.
Room 510a ,
Faculty of ICT,
Melbourne, Victoria 3122,
Telephone: +61 3 9214 4758
Fax: +61 3 9819 0823
Software and Systems Engineering (including Engineering of Complex Systems; Component Based Systems; Software Architecture; System modelling; Formal Methods and Specification)
Safety Critical Systems (including Hazard and Risk Analysis; Safety Requirements, Architecture and High Level Design Evaluation for Safety Properties)
Software Transformation and Software Evolution (including Transformations with (Hyper)-Graph Grammars and Triple Graph Grammars; Architecture and Code Refactoring, Model Driven Architecture and Quality Aspects within
I am working in these areas through collaborations with Antony Tang, Jun Han, Jean-Guy Schneider, Markus Lumpe (Swinburne University of Technology) Yiannis Papadopoulos (University of Hull) Peter Lindsay, Kirsten Winter, Robert Colvin, (the University of Queensland), Ivica Crnkovic (Maelardalen University)
Please consider submitting to the following conferences where I am involved:
2st International Symposium on Architecting Critical Systems Federated with CompArch 2010 - ISARCS (steering committee)
Aldeida Aleti (PhD
Student, AutoCRC Project Identifying Safe and Reliable Software Deployment
Architectures for Automotive Systems, ArcheOpterix, Project)
Ayman Amin (PhD Student, ArcheOpterix Project )
Iman Avazpour (PhD Student, ArcheOpterix Project )
Cameron Hine (PhD Student, Co-Supervisor, Principle Coordinating Supervisor Jun Han, Jean-Guy Schneider)
Indika Meedeniya (PhD Student, AutoCRC Project Identifying Safe and Reliable Software Deployment Architectures for Automotive Systems, ArcheOpterix Project )
Wei Xi (PhD Student, Co-Supervisor, Principle Coordinating Supervisor Markus Lumpe)
If you are interested to work with me as your PhD, Master Thesis supervisor, please have a look at the following page (StudentProjects).
(New) PhD Student Projects:
- Software Engineering Research
(Probabilistic Failure Mode and Effect Analysis for Medical Processes), more
- Software Engineering Research Project (Statistical Forecasting of Probabilistic Properties), more details here.
Other research projects:
Potential candidates interested in PhD research in the areas of qualitative architecture evaluation, software engineering, safety, security reliability and performance engineering and system engineering are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to the candidates with strong mathematical, software engineering, artificial intelligence and/or relevant computer science background and interests. Both Australian and international candidates are encouraged to apply.
please provide the following information via email to
- detailed curriculum vitae
- an (electronic) copy of undergraduate and postgraduate transcripts (first class honours or equivalent with marks above 85% or GPA 3.70/4)
- statement of research interests
- evidence of English proficiency for non native English speaker (officially required is an IELTS of 6.5 with no band below 6.0, practically scores above 7.0 are preferred).
Please have also a look at the Research Scholarship Page of Swinburne
& postgraduate coursework:
1. Grunske L., Lindsay P., Bondarev E., Papadopoulos Y., Parker D., An Outline of an Architecture-Based Method for Optimizing Dependability Attributes of Software-Intensive Systems, R. de Lemos et al. (Eds.): Architecting Dependable Systems IV, LNCS 4615, 2007, pp. 188-209
2. Becker S., Grunske L., Mirandola R., Overhage S., Performance Prediction of Component-Based Systems: A Survey from an Engineering Perspective, In R. Reussner, J. Stafford, and C. Szyperski, editors, Architecting Systems with Trustworthy Components, volume 3938 of LNCS, Springer, 2006, pp 169-192.
3. Grunske L, Geiger L., Zuendorf A., Van Eetvelde N., Van Gorp P., and Varro D., Using Graph Transformation for Practical Model Driven Software Engineering, book chapter, in Model-driven Software Development - Volume II of Research and Practice in Software Engineering, Beydeda S., Book M., Gruhn, V. (Eds.) ISBN 3-540-25613-X, 2005, pp. 91-119
4. Grunske L., Kaiser B., and Reussner R.H., Specification and Evaluation of Safety Properties in a Component-based Software Engineering Process, book chapter, in Embedded System Development with Components, Lecture Notes in Computer Science vol. 3778, ISBN: 3-540-30644-7, Springer, 2005, pp. 249 - 274
5. Maydl W., Grunske L., Behavioral Types for Embedded Software -A Survey, book chapter, in Embedded System Development with Components, Lecture Notes in Computer Science vol. 3778, ISBN: 3-540-30644-7, Springer, 2005, pp. 82-106
6. Grunske L., Using a Graph Transformation System to Improve the Quality Characteristics of UML-RT Specifications, in H: Yang (ed.), Advances in Software Evolution with UML and XML, IDEA Group Publishing, ISBN 1-59140-621-8, 2005, pp. 19-45
1. Calinescu R., Grunske L., Kwiatkowska M., Mirandola R., and Tamburrelli G., Dynamic QoS Management and Optimisation in Service-Based Systems, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, accepted, available as preprint
2. Grunske L., An Effective Sequential Statistical Test for Probabilistic Monitoring, Information and Software Technology, accepted, available online
3. Zhang P., Li W., Wan D., Grunske L., Monitoring of Probabilistic Timed Property Sequence Charts, Software Practice and Experience, Wiley Inter Science, accepted (29.10.2010), to appear
4. Grunske L., Winter K., Yatapanage N., Zafar S., Lindsay P., Experience with Fault Injection Experiments for FMEA, Software Practice and Experience, Wiley Inter Science, accepted (22.10.2010), to appear
5. Zhang P., Li B., and Grunske L., Timed Property Sequence Chart, Journal of Systems and Software (JSS), Elsevier, Volume 83, Issue 3, March 2010, pp. 371 - 390
6. Wolforth I., Walker M., Grunske L., Papadopoulos Y., Generalisable Safety Annotations for Specification of Failure Patterns, Software Practice and Experience, Wiley Inter Science, May 2010, Volume 40 Issue 5, Pages 453-483
7. Wolforth I., Walker M., Papadopoulos Y. and Grunske L., Capture and Reuse of Composable Failure Patterns, International Journal of Critical Computer-Based Systems, InderScience Publishers, Volume 1, Numbers 1/2/3, January 2010, pp 128-147
8. Colvin R., Grunske L., and Winter K., Timed Behavior Trees for Failure Mode and Effects Analysis of Time-Critical Systems, Journal of Systems and Software (JSS), Elsevier, Volume 82, Issue 11, December 2008, pp. 2163-2182.
9. Grunske L., Joyce D., Quantitative Risk-based Security Prediction for Component-Based Systems with Explicitly Modelled Attack Profiles. Journal of Systems and Software (JSS), Elsevier, Volume 81, Issue 8, August 2008, pp. 1327-1345.
10. Grunske L., Winter K., Yatapanage N., Defining the Abstract Syntax of Visual Languages with Advanced Graph Grammars - A Case Study Based on Behavior Trees, Journal of Visual Languages and Computing (JVLC), Elsevier,. Volume 19, Issue 3, June 2008, pp 343-379
11. Grunske L., Early Quality Prediction of Component-Based Systems - A Generic Framework, Journal of Systems and Software, Elsevier, Volume 80, Issue 5, May 2007, pp. 678-686
12. Grunske L., Lueck E., Application of Behavior-Preserving Transformations to Improve Non-Functional Properties of an Architecture Specification, International Journal of Computer & Information Science (IJCIS) Volume 5, Number 2, June 2004, 122-129
Reviewed Conference and Workshop Paper
1. Meedeniya I. and Grunske L., An Efficient Method for Architecture-based Reliability Evaluation for Evolving Systems with Changing Parameters, In International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering, (ISSRE 2010), San Jose, CA, USA, November 1-4, 2010, pp. 229 - 238
2. Meedeniya I., Buhnova B., Aleti A., and Grunske L, Architecture-Driven Reliability and Energy Optimization for Complex Embedded Systems, Sixth International Conference on the Quality of Software Architectures (QoSA 2010), Prague, LNCS 6093, Springer, 2010,pp. 52-68.
Grunske L., Zhang P. Monitoring
Probabilistic Properties, European Software Engineering Conference (ESEC) and
the ACM SIGSOFT Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering (FSE)
4. Aljazzar H., Fischer M., Grunske L., Kuntz M., Leitner F., Leue S., Safety Analysis of an Airbag System using Probabilistic FMEA and Probabilistic Counter Examples, International Conference on the Quantitative Evaluation of Systems, 2009. QEST 2009, IEEE Computer Society, pp.299-308, (acceptance rate <25%)
Aleti A., Grunske L., Meedeniya I. and
Moser I, Let the ants deploy your software - An
Zhang P., Grunske L., Tang A., and Li B.,
A Formal Syntax for Probabilistic Timed Property Sequence Charts, in Automated
Software Engineering (
7. Bjoernander S., Grunske L., and Lundqvist K., Timed Simulation of Extended AADL-Based Architecture Specifications with Timed Abstract State Machines, Quality of Software Architectures (QoSA 2009), LNCS, Springer, 2009, pp. 101-115, (acceptance rate <25%)
Aleti A., Bjoernander S., Grunske L., and
9. Grunske L., Specification Patterns for Probabilistic Quality Properties. 30th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2008), Leipzig, Germany, May 10-18, 2008. ACM 2008, ISBN 978-1-60558-079-1, pp. 31-40.
10. Lumpe M., Grunske L., and Schneider J.-G., State Space Reduction Techniques for Component Interfaces, Proceedings of 11th Conference on Component-Based Software Engineering (CBSE 2008), Chaudron M.R.V. and Czyperski C.(Eds.), LNCS 5282, Karlsruhe, Germany, October 2008, pp. 130-145.
Grunske L., Han J., A Comparative Study
into Architecture-Based Safety Evaluation Methodologies Using AADL's Error
Annex and Failure Propagation Models. 11th IEEE High Assurance Systems
Engineering Symposium, HASE 2008, IEEE Computer Society,
12. Grunske L., Winter K., and Colvin R., Probabilistic Model-Checking Support for FMEA, Fourth International Conference on the Quantitative Evaluation of Systems, QEST 2007. ISBN: 978-0-7695-2883-0, IEEE Computer Society, 2007, pp. 119-128
13. Colvin R., Grunske L., and Winter K., Probabilistic Timed Behavior Trees, in Proc. of Sixth International Conference on Integrated Formal Methods, IFM 2007, Oxford, UK, 2- 6 July, volume 4591 of LNCS, Springer 2007. pp. 156-175
14. Grunske L., Winter K., and Colvin R., Timed Behavior Trees and their Application to Verifying Real-time Systems. In Proc. of 18th Australian Conference on Software Engineering (ASWEC 2007), IEEE Computer Society, 2007, pp. 211-222.
15. Grunske L., Identifying "Good" Architectural Design Alternatives with Multi-Objective Optimization Strategies, International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE), Emerging Results, Shanghai, ACM 1-59593-085-X/06/0005, 20-28 May 2006, pp. 849-852
16. Grunske L., Towards an Integration of Standard Component-Based Safety Evaluation Techniques with SaveCCM, In proceedings of the conference Quality of Software Architectures (QoSA 2006), volume 4214 of LNCS, Springer, 2006, pp. 199-213.
17. Grunske L., Papadopoulos Y., Evolutionary Algorithms For Safety-Costs Trade-Off In Control System Design, INCOM 2006,12th IFAC Symposium on Information Control in Manufacturing, 2006, Elsevier Ltd, Volume Information Control Problems In Manufacturing, ISBN: 978-0-08-044654-7, pp. 247-254
18. Grunske L., Kaiser B., Papadopoulos Y., Model-Driven Safety Evaluation with State-Event-Based Component Failure Annotations, Eighth International ACM SIGSOFT Symposium on Component-based Software Engineering (CBSE 2005), St Luis, Missouri, May 14-15, Lecture Notes in Computer Science Volume 3489, Springer 2005, pp. 33-48
19. Grunske L., Formalizing Architectural Refactorings as Graph Transformation Systems, Sixth International Conference on Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Networking and Parallel/Distributed Computing (SNPD05) May 23 - 25, Towson, Maryland, USA, IEEE Computer Society, 2005, pp. 324-329
20. Grunske L., Geiger L., Lawley M., A Graphical Specification of Model Transformations with Triple Graph Grammars, First European Conference Model Driven Architecture - Foundations and Applications, ECMDA-FA 2005, Nuremberg, Germany, November 7-10, 2005, Lecture Notes in Computer Science Volume 3748, Springer 2005, pp. 284-298
21. Grunske L., Lindsay P.A., Yatapanage N., Winter K. An Automated Failure Mode and Effect Analysis based on High-Level Design Specification with Behavior Trees, Fifth International Conference on Integrated Formal Methods, Eindhoven, 29 Nov -2 Dec, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 3771, 2005, pp. 129-149
22. Grunske L., Kaiser B., Automatic Generation of Analyzable Failure Propagation Models from Component-Level Failure Annotations, Fifth International Conference on Quality Software, Melbourne, Sep 19 -20, IEEE Computer Society, 2005, pp. 117-123
Papadopoulos Y., Grante C., Grunske L.,
Kaiser B., Continuous assessment of evolving designs and reuse of analyses in a
model-based technique for semi-automatic Fault Tree and FMEA analysis of
complex systems, IFAC WC 05, 16 th. World Congress, Int. Federation of
24. Grunske L., and Kaiser B., An Automated Dependability Analysis Method for COTS-Based Systems, 4th International Conference on COTS-Based Software Systems, ICCBSS 2005, Lecture Notes in Computer Science Volume 3412, Springer, Feb 2005, pp 178-190
25. Grunske L., Neumann R., Process Components for Quality Evaluation and Quality Improvement, in Second Workshop on Method Engineering for Object-oriented and Component-Based Development, OOPSLA 2004, pp. 51-62
Grunske L., Automated Software
Architecture Evolution with Hypergraph Transformation, in Proceedings of the 7th
International Conference on Software Engineering and Application (
27. Grunske L., Application of Behavior-Preserving Transformations to Improve Non-Functional Properties of an Architecture Specification, in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Networking, and Parallel/Distributed Computing (SNPD'03), Luebeck, October 16-18, 2003, pp. 439-446
28. Grunske L., A Visual Architecture Description Language for Embedded Systems with Hierarchical Typed Hypergraphs, in Proceedings 3rd Workshop on Domain-Specific Modeling at the 18th ACM SIGPLAN Conference on Object-Oriented Programming, Systems, Languages and Applications (OOPSLA 03), Anaheim, 2003, pp.1-8
29. Grunske L., Transformational Patterns for the Improvement of Safety Properties in Architectural Specifications, Proceedings of The Second Nordic Conference on Pattern Languages of Programs (VikingPLoP 03), Bergen/Norge, 2003
30. Grunske L., Annotation of Component Specifications with Modular Analysis Models for Safety Properties, Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Component Engineering Methodology, Erfurt (WCEM 03), September 22, 2003, pp. 31-41
31. Grunske L., Neumann R., Quality Improvement by Integrating Non-Functional Properties in Architecture Specification, Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Evaluating and Architecting System dependabilitY (EASY 02) at ASPLOS-X, San Jose/California, October 3-6, 2002, pp. 23-33
32. Neumann R., Grunske L., Kaiser B., Hierarchical Software Quality Models - A step towards quantifying non-functional properties, Proceedings of the 12th International Workshop on Software Measurement, Magdeburg, Shaker 2002, pp. 107-124
33. Grunske L., Transformational Pattern for High-Level-Architectural Connectors, Proceedings of The First Nordic Conference on Pattern Languages of Programs (VikingPLoP 02), Helsingor/ Denmark, Microsoft Business Press, September 20-22, 2002, pp.81-91
1. Grunske L., Bewertungstechniken - eine allgemeine Uebersicht (Chapter 14), Handbuch der Software-Architektur, Ralf Reussner und Wilhelm Hasselbring (Eds), ISBN 3-89864-372-7, dpunkt.verlag, 2006, pp. 277-294
2. Grunske L., Kaiser B., Bewertungstechniken fuer die Systemsicherheit (Chapter 15), Handbuch der Software-Architektur, Ralf Reussner und Wilhelm Hasselbring (Eds), ISBN 3-89864-372-7, dpunkt.verlag, 2006, pp. 295-310
Patent(s) and Patent Proposals
1 Grunske L. / Siemens AG, A technical system design method that uses hypergraphs to represent technical components, so that if necessary technical components can be replaced with new components. International Patent Number, WO2005064500-A1, Main IPC G06F-017/50, Publication Date 14 Jul 2005, Pages 44 (based on the German Patent DE1046009 Publication Date 02 Oct 2003)